Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And now a word from Waylon Jennings...

"So wherever we're going, Lord, it's good to be at home..."

Home. Last Thursday Bruce was discharged at 12:05 pm. Within 10 minutes of signing on the line, we were loaded down like the Clampetts, complete with baby and six weeks of living supplies from our stay at the Ronald McDonald house, and headin' north with the hammer down, breaker-breaker rubber ducky, 10-4 good buddy, we got us a convoy, mashin' down through Wolf Creek Pass -- all of it. We made a quick stop at my mamacitas long enough for her to pack us moreso with her home cooking and tell her grandson to get his butt home, and to stay there. 20 minutes later, I made the realization that we completely bypassed the CMH inpatient pharmacy and forgot to pick up Bruce's EIGHT prescriptions.

And so, at the Holt/Lathrop exit on 1-35, we made a u-turn and headed back for the drugs.

In honor of his round the clock drug regiment, I would now like to inflict upon you the song that has been stuck in my head since Thursday night...(lyrics have been changed):: One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock, MEDS! Five, six, seven o'clock, eight o'clock, MEDS! Nine, ten, eleven o'clock, twelve o'clock, MEDS! We're gonna medicate Bruce around the clock tonight!                           You are welcome!! :)

Sleep isn't in my repertoire anymore and it's fine by me! Sooner (before later) it will catch up and I probably ought to be lying peacefully in my bed now but sitting here and watching Bruce make the funniest facial expressions while he dreams and listening to his daddy saw logs with a team of professional wood grinding beavers, is my slumber. Home. I can't say it enough!

So far in the last few days I have spent some amazing time with friends and family, eaten the best t-bone ever smoked and mamacita's best-ever banana bread, napped a ridiculous amount of times with my baby next to me, re-inserted the feeding tube in his nose because it wasn't in the right place, added 'maternal apothacarist' to my resume, cleaned and organized for hours without ever making a dent in the mess and mastered the moby wrap while wearing a robe. Yes, it can be done.

This weekend has been the best of my life, ever. I fall more and more in love with Bruce everyday and I enjoy learning and seeing who he is becoming, outside of a hospital crib. He's been doing fantastic. The feedings are going better but we do still have the ng tube in and will for a while and most of the medications should end in a few weeks.

We leave for KC in the morning for his next enzyme replacement therapy and a slew of appointments on Wednesday: Cardiology, Neurosurgery follow-up, Infectious Diseases and the Special Care Clinic. I feel like an anxious ex-con getting ready for a parole hearing, afraid of getting locked up again. Which is probably just the exhaustion setting in because I know Bruce is going to do JUST FINE with his appointments and we'll be home before I know it, back to my robe and snuggling with my son while he sleeps and I watch all the trashy Lifetime and TLC shows...He really is making progress and growing a belly like his daddy's! (But it's a cute belly, John! :)

It's great to see everything so green in northern Missouri! You can laugh all you want that this town has more digits in it's zip code than actual residents but I wouldn't trade it for anywhere. Someday, the beach but that's years down the road...we've got a family and cows to raise first!!

GOD BLESS!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This brought happy tears to my eyes!!! So glad you all are home and all is going well! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to nursing school with Kaci and have said many many prayers for baby Bruce and the fam. I have 3 children and freak at the littlest things, point being I hope you know that you are an amazing mother to go thru what you have and stay so strong!!! Baby Bruce is blessed to have you. Its not just the doctors and nurses its all the love of his wonderful family that has made him better. Glad all is well and you are home!!!!! I enjoy your post you crack me up. I'm thinking you could take them just as they are and make a book out of it.
    Brenna Harris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Friends w/ Kacie & have been following your blog every time there is an Update....What a Remarkable Woman you are (and Man Mr. Bruce is)!! I'm so glad to read you guys are HOME & HAPPY!!! Ill continue to keep you guys in My prayers and Wish you the best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete